Monday, January 3, 2011

HDEE TTC

What the hell am I talking about?  Remember I got that job?  Well, I need to do a Teacher Training Course first (hence the acronym TTC) .  The company is called Helen Doron Early Education (HDEE).  Now you get the title right? Okay, well I kind of went in with a bad attitude today.  The course is not cheap, it bothers me a bit that I have to pay for a class to work for them, but I get it.  HDEE franchises out and the franchisees don't want to spend the money training the teachers and then have them run off and teach on their own or for someone else.  So I get it.  What pissed me off is myself.  I paid the money and asked questions later.  It happened that I did the interview.  Aside from getting to know each other and our experiences, my MF (Master Franchiser) had me sit in and see some classes in action.  I was a bit limited on time, so I asked if i could come in at the end of the little kids class (what I now know is called EFI) and then the first half of a big kids class (EFAC).  I sat in with Marcella and I have to say that I was quite impressed with how the class worked, I could see there was some sort of book or plan that they followed and I know that the school has only been opened since Sept and I could see the level of English that the kids are at already.  It was quite impressive, I could tell it was totally opposite that from when I worked at DoReMi, where they basically just threw me in the class with 30 kids and closed the door and said teach.  Marcella knows what she is doing and is follows some sort of plan.  One of the hardest things to do is to plan out what you're going to do and the order the order that you will do it in.  It has to be methodical because you really can't teach certain things before you teach others, but there is so much material in life to cover, it's hard to figure out where to start.  Based on these 50 minutes of observation and chatting with the MF, I accepted the job and shelled out the money and signed up for the TTC.

Wait, wait, back it up.  I forgot I also had to go to the main franchise in the city (Milan) and interview with the MF there and observe a class there.  Let me just say I was not impressed this time, the school was crazy and hectic and stuff was all over the place and the MF was answering phones and cutting out some papers and coloring some project for somebody's lesson while she interviewed me and then she just shoved me into one of the classes to observe and I didn't get introduced or know if I had to help or whatever.  And these mothers and kids and teacher just stared at me and when on about their business as if I were even there.  It was weird. The teacher was active and great with the kids - there were only 2 kids that day. They were about the age of 2, in this sparse room.  One of the kids was totally out of control and had no social skills, I could tell he doesn't go to the asilo (preschool). And the moms spoke and repeated the objects in Italian, which I totally hated when other teachers did that at DoReMi.  The kids can see the object, they need to arrive at the conclusion that the car in my hand is a car because they see it, not because someone is telling them macchina.  I'm going to give the teacher props, because she was good despite the chaos, she kept them active and had things as under control as she could in this type of situation. So anyways: there were parents and kids and props lying all over the place and everything was so chaotic when I got out of the class. I went back into the office, was polite and left, thinking 'No way in hell would I work for this place,' but I really like the MF at where I would work and the place is smaller. It's definitely totally less chaotic and I was still impressed with the method and the things they do with it (there are also weekend and holiday workshops and they put on play and stuff in English).
 
Anyhoo, so this is why I decided to take the job and paid for the course.  The problem is, that after I waited for my MF to call and let me know what was going on.  She was very prompt with sending me the paper work and everything, so I couldn't understand why once I paid, I hadn't heard back from her much.  Last Thursday I started to panic, I still didn't know the address or what time I had to be there or what I needed to bring.  I ended up emailing the MF and found out I needed not slip socks and found out the course was at the place where I went for the second interview (which in itself is another story.  The MF told me in zona Fiera, so I was thinking the one in Rho, which is outside of Milan and probably takes 1.5 hours on the Metro during rush hour.  She actually meant the old Fiera, which is much nearer.  This part I was fine with, since it was just a misunderstanding).  Sunday I received a a forwarded email from my MF with the hour (which said 9am to 5pm) and address of the course.

This is why I arrived late and with a bad attitude.  To top things off, I rang the bell and somebody buzzed the outer door open.  You have to then walk down a short flight of stairs to get to another door to the learning center.  Somebody popped her head out, she didn't say hello, didn't ask if I was there for the course, didn't say anything, she just looked at me like who or which one are you?  She had popped her head back in by time I got to the door and I was thinking WTF have I gotten myself into.   There were a bunch of girls that already had their coats off and some were sitting on cushions in one of the class rooms.  Some girls seemed as if they already knew each other.  One girl (who actually arrived after me) asked if we needed to bring in paper and pencil.  Now I was really in a panic, because I realized nobody knew what was going on.  Well, at least we were in the same boat.  I told her I didn't know, but that I was going to and went in the room and I sat down. There girls inside the room had already formed a circle and there was no room for me to sit, one of the girl's scooted over to make room (I now know her name is Ilaria), but I declined since I wanted to lean against the wall, my back hurt from standing on the metro, I had to hold onto one of those above head bars and you know I am short and can barely reach.   The trainer came in, from first impressions, she seemed nice enough.  Introductions were made, we talked a little about ourselves (and our age, which luckily for me -is always an ice breaker. It's embarrassing, but people laugh and open up a bit when they find out I'm at least 10 years old than they would have guessed).  There were 12 of us, mostly from the Milan area, a couple from farther away  in Italy and 3 from outside Italy-only two other girls are MT English).  I'm impressed the trainer learned our names after one introduction.

Then Isabella (the trainer) started showing us a video about the HDEE classes- I was now thinking OMG WTH is she trying to sell us on the course or something??  I was wondering if it was worth it to call my loses and try to escape at the lunch break.  And then it got worse...she started talking about various methods that HD developed her method from.  (at this point I am thinking to myself, good thing I brought paper and pencil-but do I really want to write any of this stuff down??).  The methods were mostly developed around the turn of last and seemed old and outdated. She mentioned scientists and researchers  like Maria Montessouri, Suzuki, Glen Doman (basically the grandfather of the Your Baby Can Read thing) and Steiner.  One of the older kids who attended Sophia's school last year, now attends a Steiner school . The kid's mom has told us a lot about the method - it sounded so cultish and antiquated (and she believes in it-so of course she spoke positively).  Anyways, the lectures were sort of interesting in a weird, 'thank god, now I know I will never send my kid to one of those places way'.  I mean, it's a bit like religion, there are some fundamental things that these people discovered that are valid even today, but there are other things that clearly outdated.  For example, with Steiner, he believed that kids should make their own toys and play things out of natural products like cotton and wood and stuff.  Which is totally great. It's like the Slacker Mom book, don't give your kids ready made things all the time.  If given the chance, they can make something out of nothing. Kids are imaginative and it's amazing what they can do with a stick-they can make conduct an orchestra, mix the batter for mud pies, make a musical instrument, decorate a cake, etc etc.  And that part I get. They also don't want to teach kids everything, but would like to give the the instruments to arrive at thier own conclusions.  Again, I get it. But, in the method, they aren't allowed to use electronic things, shouldn't touch things like metal or plastic until after a certain age, certain steps should be made when preparing the food (like only using a wooden spoon to mix) .  We live in Milan, people are rich and send their kids to Steiner cuz it's cool, are you trying to tell me these kids don't have a flat screen TV n their room, don't surf the net or play DS, don't have toys and furniture made with plastic, don't have polyester blended into their Calvin Klein Tshirts and their moms (or cooks) make their food without using a KitchenAide, microwave or glass top electric stove, I know no one walks to school-so cars would be out too. There needs to be a happy medium.   The kids also stay with the same teacher from the time they enter the school, until the time they get out. You can figure out the advantages and disadvantages of that yourself. All the time I am wondering, how much longer until the break?  I did end up changing my mind by the time the break did roll around.  I figured out, she just introduced those names and methods just so that we could see, HD took the pros and left the cons of each method and then rolled up all the pros, updated it all, added music, poems and stories and made her own method.  Okay, I got it, this was all starting grow on me.

We all went to lunch at a nearby inexpensive restaurant and started to get to know each other a little better and of course that was fun. We went back and did other things to get to know each other a little better, like what languages we speak, experience, etc.  And then we found out we have to give standardized demo lessons. Uh oh, starting to freak out again....I didn't sign up for a sales job!

The trainer explained more about the method and how games and activities are changed often to avoid boredom and keep thing exciting, some of which we have to create and some of which are standard (like songs, stories and flashcards).  She showed us some of the things she does.  One of the activities was on the body to the song head, shoulders, knees and toes.  She has a silhouette of a body and prompts the kids to say what is missing and uses bottle caps for the eyes and ears and mouth and nose.  Simple, but effective.   See how the methods are applied now-give the kids a little and let their imagination do the rest. And then we found out that we would have to do projects too, due tomorrow.  Uhm SAY WHAT?  Not only was the part about bringing pencil and paper left out, but so was this part!!!  I mean, I'm glad that it's not all theory, it's also put into practice.  I'm also glad, because this is what I like to do best (and now somebody is actually going to pay me to do it), but....despite the Nonni being here, it also means 2 other people to take care of.  It's a double edged sword.  Plus the girls and Max isn't home tonight.  Guess what project I got, the one Isabella just demoed -this makes it much harder, cuz now I will be compared.  Now how am I going to teach the same lesson, but differently???

One of the girls (Francesca) lives in Brugherio and we took the metro home together.  It great to have someone to go over the days events and see what her ideas were.  Plus she gave a strappo a casa (literally: a rip to house, but it means a ride home :o)

I got home and Sophia was not so happy.  Last night her friend Valentina asked her for a sleep over, originally I had to say no, because the Nonni were here and I was going to be out all day, so neither Max nor I could pick her up before late.  Karol and Paola (Giorgia's mom) were so sweet, they had already planned a day out at the pool and to play after the sleep over and they offered to take Sophia too. But, when it was time to go, Sophia decided she didn't want Paola to take her, only one of us.  In the end they convinced her to go with Paola, but I still came home to two whiny little girls that wanted their mommy.  I can see this is going to be a tough week!

Last night I was organized and prepared the dinner for tonight.  The Nonni hadn't time to do the shopping, but I'm sure after this it will be a battle for who will cook dinner. I know that I need to let the Nonna do it, but her cooking drives me nuts and then she has to tell me detail by detail the recipe of food I will never make. But the Nonni already have started buying mountains of bread as if tomorrow they are going to stop making it forever:

This is the project: a picture of some kid with the parts of the body from head to toe (and including parts of the face, it even has teeth) and then the HSKT songs.  I was thinking of doing some sort of memory game or match up/puzzle or twister, but I've searched the internet and I can't find anything.  I keep trying to draw parts of the body, but Vivienne has decided she doesn't want to sleep and I am having a hard time looking at the internet and drawing with her squiggling body between me and the screen and the piece of paper.

Much later:  damn I couldn't get anything done.  This is all I could come up with, it's a twist on Isabella's project:  point out body parts (I'm leaving out teeth) instead of using the silhouette, I've made some play dough (cuz it takes less time than drawing all those parts) and ups to my sister, who gave me food coloring that included black.  The human body is too hard, but monster bodies are fun since they are simple and easy to do.  Crossing my fingers that this works out, I really didn't have enough time to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment