Thursday, December 9, 2010

I Am An Idiot!

The last time the Nonni came out, the Nonno worked on the stairs the whole time and didn't spend too much quality time with the girls.  So, we extended an open invitation for them to come out and not work, but see their grand kids.  In the meantime my little nephew Leonardo was born (I'm an Auntie :o).  I guess they were barred from going to see the little guy as he was exiting my sister in law's uterus (as they tried to do with me) and until the SIL gets settled in back home. In lieu of fact that they can't go see their new grandson,  they decided to take us up on that invite.  And of course, it went down like this: last Monday the Nonno called and asked why don't we come and visit them during the long weekend (besides the fact that it was already half over the kids were going back on Thursday), Max worked and I wasn't going to make the long drive in snowy conditions by myself out there, so whewwww we had an excuse to stay home.  So then, they said that they would come out instead...tuesday...(in other words-the next day).  So I responded with an uncomfortably long pause (because I for once was stunned and left without words) and said that I would check with Max to see what his schedule was like.  In the end they arrived Friday instead.  Now they came to see us, so logical thing is that they go down for Christmas to see their new grandson, right???? It's Max's brother and SIL's turn! We've done it every year for the past 5 years! Sadly, the SIL's father is bed ridden and so they don't want to be a bother to the SILs family.  Dunno why they can't just have lunch or dinner with their son and his wife and new grandson and not go over to the SILs family????  So, they told us they would spend Christmas by themselves and they were fine with that.  And Max was fine with that and I should have been too.  You know the in-laws bug the hell out of me!  Why didn't I just leave well enough alone???  Perhaps I have been living in a Catholic country for too long...their way at making you feel guilty and repenting for sins in life is having it's influence on me!  I felt guilty and we're atheists...we only celebrate the commercial Santa Clausy side of the holiday. But, I find it very sad that they have three grand children and not one of their children asked them to spend Christmas with them-and I told Max that I hated myself for doing this, but he needed to ask his parents to spend Christmas with us.  He said no, they were fine with passing it by themselves and if anyone should ask, it should be his brother.  One more opportunity  to leave well enough alone, but I just couldn't could I!?  And then I went on to convince him to ask them-  It was obvious my BIL was not going to do it, they even said so and gave excuses why they couldn't (not valid ones in my opinion though).  My biggest reason why we had to ask, is because I want to set a good example for our girls.  I don't want them to know what the right thing to do is, and I wouldn't want Sophia and Viv to treat us as my BIL treats them. And then Max said, the best part about my stupid decision, is that this weekend, the MIL and FIL would prove over and over to me, why we should spend Christmas without them...and they did.  And he pointed it out...like when I rushed home under the Friday traffic (after the speech therapist session) and snow to cook a scarefully planned dinner because they are picky eaters-carrot and potato soup, over cooked/boiled veggies (which I hate and none of us like to eat) and meatloaf/spinach (rolled into a spiral log) with mashed potatoes..and then they both only ate the soup (because I served it and shoved it in front of them before they could say no) because they don't like to eat too heavy for dinner and then go to bed.  Or when we left in the middle of Karol's baby shower to have dinner with them (we had accepted the invite long before Max's parents had decided to come over), and that the mom (who ate the least at dinner the night before)  ordered loads of heavy rich foods (we went to Volta Rossa) and didn't seem to have the problem with food then.  Or when the MIL constantly followed me around, constantly telling me play by play things of what Sophia or Vivienne were doing, despite the fact that I am sitting there and I can see with my own eyes and they are not new things to me because I see them everyday.  I know that Sophia can read and write-I taught her-I don't need somebody to point out every letter-like she is a self taught amazing genius.  I know that Vivienne has 6 teeth (with 4 more coming out), she nearly saws off my boobs every time she drinks milk-again, not a feat of genius-teeth come out on their own, talent has nothing to do with it! Or when they MIL comes bustling in to our bedroom despite the fact that the door is closed, only to lean over the bed and stick her face between mine and Vivienne's to coo and cuddle her, whilst I am struggling to get a diaper on or between mine OR the same thing with  Sophia, while I am trying to get her to sleep instead of stimulating her. Or when I put Vivienne down in her crib and the MIL went up stairs under the guise of getting something from their room, only to go in and check on the baby, there by making her start to cry and then using that as an excuse to yank her out of the bed, despite the fact that she was almost asleep already! Or how the FIL is never satisfied with the here and now, but always has to go on telling stories of how much better of a time he and Sophia  had doing something or will have doing something with just her and him-ie too bad she had to go to this party with us (at her friend's house) otherwise he would have taken her to the toy store and bought her anything she wanted, remember that time that they went to (fill the name of some toy store in here) and he bought her (fill in the name of some long forgotten or broken toy in here).  Or how they are treating my SIL with kid gloves and constantly tell me how delicate she is- which I would be okay with -because all mom's deserve to have their story of child birth told as if it were the most dramatic story on earth and should be pampered like a queen afterward- but they don't seem to remember that they didn't do those sort of those things for me and I don't have a mother/aunts/uncles/cousins that across the street, that will cook and clean and help me out if I need it-but are things that I do for the MIL and FIL when they come over 3 days after I have given birth. And yet I had to go and open my big trap... I AM AN IDIOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment