Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tea Tales

Sophia's school has a theme that they study every year.  Last year it was Pinocchio, this year it's other cultures.  Today they were teaching kids about tea ceremonies.  When I got to school, the teacher asked if my parents were from Japan. I answered that the relatives from my mothers side are, but even my grandmother was born in the States.  Then she told me that Sophia raised her hand and told the class how we are from Japan and we do the tea ceremony.  The class was so excited to hear about the ceremony first hand, from someone who had actually experienced it.  I was thinking, OMG she remembered  Ryan & Denice's ceremony from last summer? I didn't think she actually paid attention.  Sophia proudly told everyone to do the ceremony: you take a cup and fill it with water, shove a tea bag in and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes.  The teachers rolled over laughing and so did I.  Yup, that's exactly our family tradition, passed down from generation to generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment